Aug 24, 2014

Los Angeles Explorations


Spent a day in Los Angeles with my good friend, Stephanie. We hadn't seen each other since June before our graduation! It was good to catch up and it was fun to finally do some exploring in a city I love. 



We started the day at Abbot Kinney, where we got delicious BBQ Sandwiches from Chop Daddy's and Coffee from a nearby café. The sandwiches come with a little cookie for later, which was a cute, little surprise!








We sat on the beach, admiring the waves, which seemed very large that day. I could spend all day staring at the ocean. I'm amazed at waves. I love to think about the forces of nature that make them occur, and the intricate physics of motion that influence their behavior (I'm a science major, can you tell? :P)





Afterward, we headed back to Abbot Kinney to get some ice cream from an ice cream truck we had been eyeing earlier that day. They had interesting, artisan flavors and even vegan ice cream! This is Los Angeles we're talking about after all. I decided on the Earl Grey ice cream, which had a subtle earl grey flavor with citrus notes. Stephanie opted for the Strawberry ice cream. Yum!


Not wanting our day to end, I suggested we go to the Hollywood Bowl Overlook to get some amazing views. We didn't realize that the Overlook was closed after Sunset, but according to Yelp there were ways to get in...you just had to use your brain! We found a way in through some bushes and between an opening in the fences. I was happy I brought my tripod so I could try some long exposures! But I could only expose for about 2-3 seconds without the photo being too overexposed, definitely looking into some ND filters so I can expose shots for a longer period of time. 

We were paranoid most of the time that cops would come and that we would get in trouble for sneaking in. But more people started to come before we decided to leave. As we got to my car I noticed the park rangers opening the gate and telling everyone to leave. Haha, we were very lucky!


It was getting close to midnight, but I still had an itch to adventure. I suggested going to the Walt Disney Concert Hall in Downtown LA, since I had never been and it's an interesting piece of architecture! I wanted to set up a long exposure, but the plaza where I wanted to set it up had a few sleeping patrons, and I didn't want to be rude. I took to my handy dandy iPhone instead. 


As we walked back to my car, the large skyscrapers caught my eye. We walked into a plaza, and I noticed a few other photographers with tripods taking photos. Decided to join in, and took some photos of the skyscrapers. I can always appreciate amazing architecture, and it's always interesting to see a city that's always bustling a little quiet. 



SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© annalyn currently. All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Designed by pipdig